• ASCO requests CMS reopen the NCD and delay effective date.
• US Oncology supports ASCO concerns; requests CMS to reopen NCD.• Community Oncology Alliance requests CMS reexamine NCD.
• ASCO sends a letter to Michael Leavitt, Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS), expressing concern about the NCD and outlining the conflicts between the CMS coverage decision and the FDA-approved label for ESAs.
• Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif) and Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich) introduce H.J.RES.54, a Joint Resolution disapproving CMS's national coverage decision on the use of ESAs in cancer and related neoplastic conditions. In addition, Rep. Stephen Cohen (D-Tenn) introduces resolution H.RES.681 urging CMS to reconsider its coverage decision on ESAs and consult with members of the oncology community to make appropriate revisions to its policy.• CMS responds to ASCO, asking for new evidence.
• ASH/ASCO issues updated guideline on ESAs in chemotherapy-related anemia.
• FDA agrees with CMS in limiting reimbursement for ESA products.