- Indicated vaccines are ideally administered before cancer treatment is initiated.
- Live vaccines are contraindicated due to risk of severe vaccine-induced infection.
- Injectable influenza vaccine is given annually, and both pneumococcal vaccines should be administered according to the recommended schedule from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- The newer recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV) is the safer and preferred vaccine.
- Family members and close contacts of cancer patients can be safely immunized with most, but not all, live vaccines.