Key Points in the Use of Interim PET in DLBCL:
- Interim positron emission tomography (PET)/CT has low prognostic value in patients with DLBCL.
- The high likelihood of inflammatory processes in patients receiving chemoimmunotherapy contributes to false-positive PET results.
- No prospective studies thus far have shown improvement in DLBCL outcomes based on altering therapy on the basis of interim PET/CT results.
- New applications of PET being studied to improve on its role in DLBCL include using the five-point Deauville score, change in standardized uptake value, and pretreatment metabolic tumor volume.
- Quantitative methods of PET evaluation must be standardized before such a strategy is implemented.