- Fear of cancer recurrence (FCR) is fairly common, normal, and distressing.
- FCR is not strongly linked with prognosis, and may even occur in individuals with a relatively good prognosis.
- Severe FCR does not improve without intervention, and oncologists can play an important role in helping patients to better manage it.
- Screening for FCR helps in detection of this condition and guides patient referral.
- Providing adequate information, normalizing FCR, encouraging disclosure, and making appropriate patient referrals are important ways that oncologists can contribute.