Small- and Large-Cell Neuroendocrine Cervical Cancer
- Small-cell and large-cell neuroendocrine tumors of the cervix are exceedingly rare but incredibly aggressive.
- Because no prospective studies have been performed in this patient population, treatment recommendations are based on small clinical experiences and approaches used in small-cell lung cancer.
- For newly diagnosed patients, multimodal therapy with radiation, chemotherapy, and/or surgery should be strongly considered.
- For recurrent disease, we have seen good responses with the combination of topotecan, paclitaxel, and bevacizumab.
- Consideration of molecular testing and targeted therapy in a clinical trial should be strongly considered, since therapeutic options for these patients are few.